What's New in Tower 2
Tower 2 comes with countless new features & improvements. There's no chance we could list them all...
But we've created a 5-minute "Getting Started" video and the below short list of 11 great changes in version 2 to get you started.
New Interface & Improved Performance
- Streamlined workflows make many tasks even easier than before.
- Improved performance brings a faster & more responsive user interface.
- Enjoy a brand new design.
Opening & Managing Repositories
- Press ⌘ + O and begin typing the name of a repository. Opening a repository can't be quicker. - Use Tower's lean & simple Repositories view to manage your bookmarked repositories.
- The new navigation breadcrumb (just below the toolbar) makes navigating in nested Submodule hierarchies easy.
Managing Service Accounts
Access your GitHub, Bitbucket, and Beanstalk accounts right from within Tower.
- Clone repositories with just a click - even from "Organization" or "Team" accounts.
- Create new repositories without leaving the app.
- Add and delete your SSH Public Keys.
Faster Commit Workflow
The Working Copy area features a brand new commit interface.
- The commit interface goes out of your way while inspecting & staging changes - and is yet receptive with just a click.
- Keep the ⌥ key pressed to access the new "Unstage All" button and the Quick Amend feature.
- Switch branches or change the HEAD branch's tracking connection right from the Working Copy view - simply by clicking the 'branch name > tracking' area at the top of the view.
New Commit History View
- A dedicated History sidebar item always shows the complete project's history - for all branches, remotes, and tags. Select any branch or tag in the sidebar to have a history of just that item shown.
- Quickly see which commits you haven't pushed or pulled, yet: Tower marks them with a little arrow icon in their upper right corner. This way, you'll know what will happen when you sync with the remote repository.
- The new file history feature can be accessed right from the global search field in the toolbar. Switch to the "File" category, enter a file path and you'll see only the commits that changed this very file.
- Browse the project's complete file tree at any revision - simply by switching to the Tree view on the top right.
Open and work with multiple repository windows in parallel.
Press ⌘ + N to open a new window or keep the ⌥ key pressed when opening a repository from the Quick Open window or the Repositories view.
Improved Stash Management
- Inspect the contained changes and other detailed information for every Stash.
- Apply, delete, or show the Stash in a Diff tool.
- Drag and drop a certain modification to only apply this change to your Working Copy.
A brand new conflict wizard lets you easily solve merge conflicts in a visual way.
See which versions from which branches exactly caused the conflict and solve it with just a couple of clicks.
- By default, Tower automatically fetches remote data for you in the background. The Mac OS Notification Center will inform you if new commits arrived on the remote.
- Remote interactions like Push or Pull are now performed unobtrusively in the background so you don't have to stop working. You'll be notified when the operation completes.
- Cloning a repository now happens completely in the background. No more waiting for a large repository to be downloaded.
Details for Submodules & Remotes
All relevant information about Submodules and remote repositories can now be accessed from the main window. Simply select the corresponding item in the sidebar.
Support for Git-Flow
The popular git-flow workflow can now be used directly from Tower's interface. No additional installation is required.